- Surge protection
- Ceiling fans
- Smoke alarms
- Shed/spa/oven circuits
- Power points – internal and external
- Switchboard upgrades and installations
Why is it necessary to upgrade your switchboard in your home?
It is important to upgrade outdated switchboards as they can cause electrical fires and electric shocks. Owing to their fuses, the outdated switchboards have the tendency to catch and spread fire easily. They are also highly prone to short-circuits.
These days, the current switchboards available are fitted with electrical safety switches and automatic trip circuit breakers. These new features eliminate the chance of an electric shock and any physical damage caused by a fire breakout. As soon as the slightest hint of any power leakage is detected from a broken wire or a switch, the electrical safety switch shuts down the main power supply. By immediately cutting the electricity when a fault is found, electrocution is avoided and it also prevents the electrical cables catching fire.Another significant reason to upgrade your switchboard is because of our current technological trends. Unlike a few decades ago where we only needed to plug in the fridge and the heater, we now use a host of electrical appliances and devices. From computers, washing machines, stereos and air conditioners to fitness equipment, vacuum cleaners and home theatre systems, the list is endless. If you try and overload an old switchboard with all this technology chances are you will decrease your appliance’s efficiency and it can become dangerous.
How do tell if you need a new switchboard:
- You can tell your switchboard is crying for an upgrade if you experience frequent power tripping.
- If your light flickers all the time then this is a sign you need a switchboard upgrade.
NEW electrical switchboard with circuit breakers and safety switches
It is extremely important to determine whether the switchboard at your premises is working correctly or not. Many people are unaware of the importance of having a functioning switchboard and fuse box. However, any electrician in Adelaide will tell you that a switchboard and a fuse box play an important part in protecting your home wiring. For example, if you have an old fuse box switchboard that contains re-wirable, ceramic fuses it is very important to update it. This type of switchboard is very dangerous and does not comply with current standards for the following reasons:
- Your home electrical wiring can catch on fire if it is wired with a larger density fuse wire than the cable can carry.
- If a fuse wire loosens and sticks out of its ceramic fuse holder, it can cause electric shock and is a major hazard.
- Fire can be caused by electricity passing through the ceramic fuse at the switchboard if the cable insulation melts.